Concussion Evaluation and Treatment
This course will provide an extensive review of the anatomy, physiology and systems that are affected by concussion. Significant time will be spent on the evaluation of concussion for which a clinical profile is most appropriate for the patient, to then provide the most accurate treatment. We will also review special cases and address not only the acute treatment of concussion, but long-term treatment including that of persistent post-concussion symptoms.
CONTINUING EDUCATION HOURS:
6 Contact Hours | 6 CEUs
This course is open to PTs, PTAs and Student PTs/PTAs only.
At the conclusion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Understand the anatomy and physiology, as well as systems affected by concussion.
- Understand the evaluation process that includes extensive history-taking in addition to neurocognitive testing and screening for vestibular and ocular conditions associated with concussion.
- Understand the role of the cervical spine and whiplash as it pertains to the treatment of concussion.
- Understand the six different clinical profiles and how to determine which is primary and which is secondary to have more successful treatment of concussion.
- Understand the extensive treatment that can be provided and the education necessary to help patients fully recover from concussion.
- Understand complex cases for post concussion treatment and persistent post-concussion symptoms.
- Understand the role of other comorbidities and previous history factors that can influence the recovery of concussion.
- Understand the prognosis for acute and chronic issues associated with concussion.
- Understand the role that neural plasticity plays in concussion recovery.
- Understand the team approach and role of the athletic trainer, as well as medical director and other healthcare providers, as it pertains to concussion treatment.
Shawn Higbee, PT, DPT has been treating patients with concussion symptoms for 10 years. He has studied and done extensive research with some of the best concussion researchers throughout the country. Shawn works with the local sports medicine team including medical directors and athletic trainers to develop a significant concussion rehab program, treating patients from all over Idaho as well as Utah, Montana and Wyoming. He helps patients who suffer from debilitating concussion related symptoms with specialized treatment to overcome and get back to their normal life. Southeast Idaho’s #1 Concussion Specialist, Shawn has his Doctor of Physical Therapy and is a proven leader in the world of sports medicine within Southeast Idaho.
CONFERENCE DATES AND TIMES:
Saturday, May 13, 2023 – 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Idaho State University
921 S 8th Ave
Pocatello, ID 83209
Saturday, May 13th
9:00 – 10:30 AM | Course Begins
10:30 – 10:45 AM | Morning Break
10:45 AM – 12:15 PM | Course Continues
12:15 – 1:15 PM | Lunch Break
1:15 – 2:45 PM | Course Continues
2:45 – 3:00 PM | Afternoon Break
3:00 – 4:30 PM | Course Continues
4:30 PM | Course Concludes
|PTs – APTA Member||$175|
|PTAs – APTA Member||$175|
|PT/PTA Students – APTA Member||$100|
All APTA members are eligible for discounted member rates, regardless of chapter membership. You must be a member in good standing as of the date of the conference to be eligible for all member rates. Registrants who have a membership expiration date prior to the conference must provide proof of membership before the conference begins or they will be subject to paying the nonmember rate.
CANCELLATIONS & SUBSTITUTIONS:
To cancel, email chapter staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 554-5569 x113. Cancellations received by April 30, 2023 will receive a full refund minus a $25 cancellation fee. Cancellations received between May 1 and May 12, 2023 will receive a 50% refund. There will be no refunds after May 12, 2023. Unless there is a waiting list for the course, substitutions will be accepted at no charge until May 12, 2023. All substitutions must be for the same member type and rate and are at the discretion of chapter staff. No substitutions will be accepted after May 12, 2023 or if the course has a waiting list.
In the unlikely event that the chapter must cancel the course/conference, APTA Idaho will provide a refund of registration fees. APTA Idaho will not be responsible for additional costs, such as travel, incurred by registrants.
CONTINUING COMPETENCY APPROVAL:
The 2023 APTA Idaho Spring Conference course is sponsored by the Idaho Chapter of the American Physical Therapy Association. Courses of study relevant to physical therapy and sponsored or provided by the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) or any of its sections or local chapters are approved by the Idaho Board of Physical Therapy. The APTA Idaho Chapter board also believes this course is “integrally related and germane” to the practice of physical therapy per Rule 250 in the Idaho Administrative Code governing the Physical Therapy Licensure Board (24.13.01) at the Idaho Division of Occupational and Professional Licenses (Idaho DOPL).
PTs and PTAs from other states who wish to attend this course must contact their licensing board (if necessary) to determine if the course meets the continuing competence rules and guidelines for their state and/or licensing board.
If you have any questions about this conference, please contact chapter staff at email@example.com or (800) 554-5569 x113.